Tuesday, December 14, 2010

He's no ordinary kid, he's Ben 10


Ben 10 provides much of the sound track to our lives these days. It's Caleb's favourite show and he talks about it to anyone who will listen. He draws page after page of alien drawings and omnitrixes, he quotes the one liners, and he plays "Ben 10" with Jemima in the back yard. It's a little full on to be honest, but he really enjoys it- so I am indulging his love this Christmas with a couple of gifts.

I had the idea to make a "Ben 10 Alien Force" jacket and then I came across this pattern at Bettsy Kingston. It is such a cool pattern and so nice to make something for the little guy for a change. The instructions were clear with good illustrations- and the resulting jacket is very nicely finished. When I had a few troubles along the way, I sent Benita at Bettsy Kingston an email which resulted in an extremely helpful exchange- just like a mini sewing lesson!

The pattern went together really smoothly, and while there are a few niggles on this one due to my inexperience (the too long collar with puckering, and the top stitching at the opening) I know exactly what to do next time, and I am looking forward to making another non-Ben 10 variation.

I also have the reversible pinafore pattern from Bettsy Kingston and some very sweet fabric. I am hoping to whip one up for Eve before Christmas, but as usual after the completion of a project, I have to restore the housework balance before I can start a new one.

4 comments:

BettsyKingston said...

The jacket gets a big thumbs up from me, I might make one myself. Between Ben 10 and Nerf Guns there isn't much else my son likes. I loved our exchanges also!

Jacqui said...

oh Caleb and Sebastian would get on so well!

Bubby Makes Three said...

good one! I am having a sewing bee with a girlfriend today... I want to make Eli a pair of nappy covers and a decorated singlet - nice and simple (I hope!) but in typical Nicole fashion Im sure Ill stuff it up somehow...

Sally said...

Yes... there is a lot of Ben 10 love at this house too. Your jacket looks amazing... might have a go and make the boy one for his birthday.