Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Jeans to a skirt 2



I have a whole bunch of jeans languishing in my drawers. Too big, too small, none just right (which is why I keep buying more.) And I actually prefer to wear skirts anyway, so a jeans conversion was always imminent.

I have had a go at a jeans to wrap-around-skirt conversion before, but this one is much more wearable. I love the idea of a wrap around, but they can be a bit drafty/flashy if you catch my drift.

For this one I used this tutorial which is very easy to follow. Is it too nerdy to admit I was watching Project Runway Canada on YouTube while I was ripping apart seams?

The back panel on mine looks a little funny as it is not as worn as the seat of my pants were, but it is OK. I am not aiming for perfection here.

It is very gratifying to use something that I never wore and refashion it in such as way that I am getting a lot of use out of. Yeah!

PS Look at Caleb pose!


12 comments:

CurlyPops said...

That looks fantastic! I have some jeans that would be perfect to covert.
Looks like Caleb's been watching Project Runway too!

Gina said...

Well done!!! Girl after my own heart. I only wish I had some 'too big' jeans in my drawers to rip into. Everything's on the 'too small' side.
Hmm, going nowhere fast with the from-scratch skirt pattern so maybe I'll give this a whirl instead.

Gina said...

PS thanks for the link, I'd not seen that site before.
PPS How did you figure out where you wanted your side panels to start (ie how far up the sides did you rip?)

Victoria said...

I love them, I think they look great. I may try it myself, although I think with a significant birthday this year I may be approaching the no jean skirt rule! Aaaargh!

Monique said...

Your skirt looks great. I love denim skirts. They are so cool and work so well for anything. I am going to try this with a pair of jeans from an op shop as have finally ditched all those ill-fitting jeans. Thanks for the link.

Madeline said...

Looks great! And, Caleb striking a pose makes me grin. How cute.

Kelly said...

Cool skirt Bek and thanks for the link. I love denim skirts. I might have to give this one a try. I like your little model..Cute!

Jacqui said...

SNAP!!! I have just been op shopping for exactly that reason and bought 3 pairs all to make into skirts, funnily enough the jeans skirt I have at the moment is too big but good for going into and through pregnancy and after but not so much now - now I just have to find time to make them...
Love your work

That Crazy Ajumma said...

The skirt look fab! You did a great job on it. I've been tempted to try it myself, but I keep talking myself out of it. Lol @ Caleb!

Angie said...

This is great! I just had a clearing out frenzy (these are very rare & must be taken advantage of...I'm such a hoarder!) and threw out some jeans that would have been perfect for this.

I've bookmarked it for next time though, thanks for the inspiration to get re-fashioning again.

Unknown said...

What a great job ! I have enjoyed checking out your blog , thanks .

Bird Bath said...

Love this conversion...it has been on my mind for a few weeks now to look into my pile of jeans and make a denim skirt..so THANKYOU! for the link and inpiration.