Friday, September 4, 2009

Home Sweet Home


Ralph Blue and Pinky Ralphette celebrity lookalikes are to be gifted to one of Caleb's little friends tomorrow at her birthday party. When I made them, the gift didn't feel complete and I started designing a little house for them to live in. Then I saw this tutorial at The Long Thread via Whip up and I just made that. Because it is adorable! (Warning, if you make it, I think there is an error in the instructions when it comes to sewing the lining and flap/roof on. I ended up putting it together using the instructions for these.)

During construction I started thinking... does having so much inspiration and generously provided tutes and patterns actually make me less creative? It is a big help as a beginning sewist to have all these tutes, as with each one comes more confidence and new skills, and hopefully in the end give me the ability to be more creative. Something I am mulling over.

I am a bit blue today as my man has just left this sunny day to go to Paris for work. He will then be traveling to Amsterdam, before coming home in 2 weeks time. We will be OK, but it is much nicer when he is around. Looking forward to him coming back already!


6 comments:

Gina said...

That's really gorgeous Bek. I love the owlies and now their little house... it's superb.

Good question about all the tutes. I guess it depends on whether being creative means 'making things up yourself' or whether being creative can also incorporate doing your own take on things, creative fabric or material choices, etc. I think both can be creative acts.

I doubt I'm ever going to come up with a unique idea myself. Any ideas I have had, I've usually found a similar idea/tute on the web somewhere! But it is fun to try things first without just following someone else...

karlyn Jackson said...

Oh those little owls are gorgeous, and that house is perfect for them, what a sweet gift. I have bought the same pattern but have not made one yet.......I hear you, my hubby is getting back tomorrow after two weeks and I am SOOOOO excited. I hope you survive...

Madeline said...

The little house is the perfect home for such cute little critters!!
About the tutes, I think they are giving you loads of fabulous skills to use for future creative endeavors. And, who ever said that you couldn't be creative and follow a tutorial??
Hope the next two weeks fly by for you, so you can be with your man soon!

Miss Muggins said...

Bek I love that you have made such a personal, imaginative gift. The recipient is a lucky girl.

Evie said...

this is too adorable and so is your new header pic!!

for me i like to use a pattern to try something new, to figure out how something is constructed and learn a new skill. then i take this and use it when doing something that is completely mine no tut! its always good if we are learning or improving skills : )

tea with lucy said...

Your new header pic is too cute!

I'd be green with envy about him visiting such amazing cities and being left behind.