Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Quilting" for the Blondie



This is my favourite kind of quilt to make. It's the 3rd time I have made one, and the 1st time I get to keep it in the house (on Jemima's bed). Hooray!

Obviously it is just fat quarters sewn together, then with a vintage chenille backing and tied together (using this tutorial again). This is about the only kind of patchwork I can manage. I don't have what I suppose is a true quilter's temperament. I want my quilt done now!

I bought a fat quarter pack from the Fat Quarter Shop before the bottom fell out of the AUD (what's up with that?) They are Lecien Old New Collection 30s, which are really sweet.

The chenille bedspread was from ebay, and I am trying to get my hands on a white one for Caleb's quilt, but it is proving difficult. Who knew vintage chenille bedspreads were such a sought after item?

The kids will move into Caleb's room a few months before bebe makes her arrival, so these new bedspreads are in honour of that. Much to do!

12 comments:

Ellieboo said...

I love it - and the chennille is devine. I so want to make something like that for my ellie. I am in love with chennille and have been trying to think of a project using it - I think I have my answer.

IndigoElephant :: Sash said...

It's lovely Bek! I have just found me a pattern to make a cot quilt that doesn't involve lots of cutting and sewing!! Fingers crossed it turns out :)

Gina said...

Ooooh I love it. How many FQs does it use? 12? 16? What happens when you wash it? I really would like to try something, well, simpler like that because so far I have done NO actual quilting in this house this year. Just piecing. Because I'm too scared and bored by the idea :)

Kate said...

I love that quilt! It looks great and sounds makable to a quiltaphobic like me. Hmmm I'm tempted...hope you are having a great weekend.

Beck said...

I love your quilt too, perhaps there is hope for me yet! I have alot of fabric on standby but I'm always to scared to start. I'm going to have a look at the link and make a start tomorrow, yes I am! Thanks for the inspiration xo

Madeline said...

It looks so cute! And, I love the chenille backing. I never see chenille bedspreads at the thrift shops though. Lucky you!

karlyn Jackson said...

I love the giant patches. I'm with you, my quilting style is very square and basic, I like instant results!

Rachael @Mogantosh said...

Just my kind of quilt. I've only made one but have metal-maps for lost more..and I backed it with a flannel op-shop sheet. Soft and squishy.

I had the same nurses outfit you've got in your banner...! We must be of a similar vintage. And I love your blog. x

Bubby Makes Three said...

thanks for popping by and leaving a comment on my blog today, it's enabled me to discover yours... and I really like what I see!!! Thanks for giving me some new reading material! x

Evie said...

i love the look of this quilt! the bigger the better i dont think i would have the right temperament either.
thanks for the wedding comment too : )
3 months is very impressive. since we are planning something very simple i am not too worried...yet : )

karlyn Jackson said...

In case you can't find that vintage bed spread, I saw white chenille by the metre at spotlight. It was in the quilting section...good luck!

Sally said...

Brilliant. I ADORE it! Lucky Jemima :)