Sunday, May 10, 2009

Eye Spy... what I am reading now



I would really really like to be able to sew clothes for myself, but my figure makes that difficult being of the hour glass variety. Anything that's a bit easier and less fitted, ie smockish, is a bit of a disaster for me. The above blouse is something I made from a Simplicity pattern last year, just wasn't my thing in the end. After a few months (when the emotional attachment had worn off) I gave it away. The new owner might even iron it... 

When Chris went to the US, he brought me back the Sew U books by Wendy Mullin. I started "properly reading" the first one this morning after tea and toast in bed (Happy Mother's Day!!). I think it should be a good start to sewing for grown ups... I've sewn a bunch of stuff, but mostly straight lines, so curving it up will be good for me.

Thanks Monique for the theme! Pop over to Cindy's place to see what others are reading.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I hear you. Let me know how the books go... I've been contemplating buying one of them but would love to know how they work. I'm a top-heavy hourglass at present!

Madeline said...

I have the same problem. Which is probably one reason, I quit sewing clothes for myself after only a couple attempts. Hope the books help!

Christina Lowry said...

He brought you back a sewing book?! That's awesome! I think I would ask my hubby for a craft or sewing book and he would come back with something ugly and scary, you know the ones? :)
Good luck with your new book, hope to see great results!

Tania said...

Sounds like there are lots of hourglasses around. On top of that, this one is still breastfeeding. Needless to suggest, I stick to knitting for the wee ones. Ever seen a top heavy knitwear model?!?!

Will be watching in earnest for the book review (not putting any pressure on or anything)...

Liesl said...

If you think your hourglass shaped figure is tricky ... imagine how much trouble I have with mine ... which is more your oven timer shape!! :) Smocks are definitely not my thing either (I tried Simplicity 5409 and it was a disaster. My sewing teacher took scissors to it!). I will also be interested to hear how the books go. The reviews I have read so far are very good.

Victoria said...

I'll have a look at it - my attempts have been rather sad, which is disappointing since the girls' things turn out so well! can I blame my skills, or my body - or both!

Jessica Lonard (The Crafty Librarian) said...

I've been coveting that book! I will have to keep an eye out to see what you make from it...no pressure!! I'm just super impressed that he knew to get you a craft book :oD

handmaiden said...

Bek, the worst thing to do is sew a sack. you should actually show off yr curves which will downsize u immediately. I swear by trinny and susannahs rules...

Stacey said...

I'm with you in the hourglass camp, I'm afraid.

If I don't wear things that are nipped in at the waist I look like a wrestler.

*sigh*